Friday, November 03, 2006

Sooraj Barjatya is Karan Johar's guru


CNN-IBN's Rajeev Masand recently interviewed Sooraj Barjatya and Karan Johar to discuss their brand of film making. The interview contains the usual fluff with Karan and Sooraj expressing admirations for each other's films, but it I found this quote from Karan Johar interesting-

After seeing Hum Aapke Hain Kaun I realized Indian cinema is about values, tradition, subtlety, romance. There is so much soul in it. After watching this film I got the answers to all the questions I had in my mind. I decided to go ahead and be a filmmaker only after watching this film.

Come to think of it, both Barjatya and Johar's films have similar themes. They address the values and traditions of the Indian culture. The difference being that Karan's films are heavily westernized and whereas Sooraj's films are heavily Indianised. In the interview, Barjatya even admits this by saying-

If I had conceived KANK, it’s setting would not have been New York but perhaps somewhere in Delhi.

Perhaps Amit ji's character would have been someone from Haridwar or Jhansi who dons a holy ganji. I think it’s just the way we look at characters.

The dream merchants: Barjatya and Johar | Video 1 | Video 2 | Video 3

Tags: , ,

No comments: