Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Katrina's skirt causes uproar in Ajmer


My first post had to be about a place that is my second home, Ajmer. If you have read my profile, you know I went to school there.

News has come out that Katrina Kaif was visiting too. She was there shooting for Vipul Shah's (Waqt) next called Namaste London. Katrina was on location at the dargah of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti shooting with Rishi Kapoor in a short skirt and offered 'chadar' to the Sufi saint's dargah for a scene in the film. The reason this is making news is that according to tradition, it is considered disrespectful to wear outfits with short sleeves or legs inside the shrine. The director has is being cooperative and has offered to reshoot the scene with a more acceptable dress on Katrina.

I am all for respecting the traditions of your faith, but the committee that granted them permission to begin with should have clarified this before. I cannot for one second believe that the thought could have slipped their mind. I believe the fault squarely lies on the committee in this. In typical Indian fashion, the committee will protest and investigate rather than admit and correct. And before, I am labeled a hater of the Islamic faith, I would like to point out that if this were to happen in a Hindu temple, my opinion would be unchanged.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: