Thursday, October 26, 2006

Traffic Signal has no story



Madhur Bhandarkar's next venture titled Traffic Signal, to be released in January 2007, is one, according to Madhur himself, that has "no story".

In a recent Reuter's news report, Madhur said

"The movie, honestly, has no story. It's a slice of life. I have 60 characters and the film is about people you see every day at any traffic signal. It will show their lives, their perspectives, their ups and downs."
No, that is not a typo. There are 60 (sixty) characters in the movie. Madhur has earned respect as a story teller with his real-life dramas such as Page 3 and Corporate, but this has me seriously concerned. A movie with 60 characters and no story to hold them together? Even if the characters were varied and interesting, you have to have a story to tie it up. Without a story, the movie will be nothing but a collage of clips thrown together from the perspective of a traffic signal. I might be reading too literally into his comment so I will reserve judgment until I check it out myself, but it does make me wary.

[via WNED]

Tags: , ,

No comments: